- Content rich-lessons at A1 level covering a range of topics presenting language in day-to-day situations.
- A suggested learning path that helps beginner-level students focus on a specific topic and practice grammar, speaking, listening and reading.
- A wide range of exercise types, with illustrations and photographs, to provide interest and aid comprehension.
- Material that includes a variety of accents from both English and non-English speaking countries.
- 48 blended lessons which focus on speaking skills and complement digital lessons.
- Detailed feedback on each activity plus a full grammar reference to support learning and review.
- End-of-lesson tests to measure progress.
About Practical English Starter
Practical English Starter is the perfect course for beginners, or those needing to re-learn some of the very basics of English. The course includes a wide range of practical, everyday topics like introducing yourself, numbers, shopping, and transport. Those who are willing to study 2-3 hours a week over several months will see a significant improvement in their level, and in international exam test scores.
Each lesson offers varied content and task types, and follows a clear and proven learning cycle to build skills systematically. The lessons are organized in a cyclical syllabus that allows learners to build their confidence with carefully graded reading and listening texts, moving from easy to more difficult.
Every four lessons, learners get a chance to show what they have learned in a simple role-play activity based on an everyday survival situation. Short, focused pronunciation and speaking exercises allow learners to record their voice, and focus on the stress and intonation of core vocabulary.
Students are exposed to a wide range of accents from around the English-speaking world to help prepare them for travel, or to help them progress to a pre-intermediate level of English and further study.
Practical English Starter also includes optional use of blended learning material which complements the digital lessons. There are Hand-outs, Teacher’s Notes, Language Summaries and Audio for group, 1:1, or Skype-type speaking lessons.