- 800+ lessons across B1 – C1 level.
- Articles that cover a wide range of topics within business and finance.
- Structured practice to help learners read more fluently and expand their vocabulary.
- An ability to share opinions with others in the Need to Read community, and to rate each lesson.
- Printable lesson content including results, commentary and a Word Bank.
- An end-of-course test to measure progress.
About Need to Read
Need to Read can be used flexibly as a stand-alone course, or as a homework supplement for students who need to improve their reading skills in business contexts. Those who are willing to study 2-3 hours a week over several months will see a significant improvement in their reading fluency and speed, and will develop the confidence to express their ideas and opinions about what they have read.
At the start of Need to Read, students complete a short, adaptive diagnostic test to ensure that subsequent lessons are presented at the right level. Each lesson begins with a warm-up activity to help introduce the topic and orientate the learner. This is followed by a focused reading exercise to practice both reading for gist and specific information. Students are then invited to reflect and comment on the content of each article, and share their ideas in the Need to Read forum.
The Skills Training section offers further practice with new phrases and words in context, and teaches students how particular phrases can be used to express ideas and opinion. A Word Bank is also included to provide support with new words and a review of key business concepts.
A final feedback section allows students to comment on the content of the lesson and rate how much they enjoyed it – this information is available as a rating system for other Need to Read users.